And the tradition continues…announcing our 2nd annual Girls Getaway Weekend! We’ve got a weekend of fun planned for you and your Sisterhood that includes champagne and chocolates on arrival, a snack basket in your room, dinner reservations at Parlour 1886 or a local restaurant, a full breakfast for each night of your stay, a local shop-till-you-drop treasure hunt, a Sip & Script calligraphy class, and a hands on cooking class featuring Tuscany favorites. So grab your girlfriends and make plans to attend our annual Girls Getaway Weekend June 26th through 28th.
Here’s what’s on the itinerary for the weekend:
Friday, June 26th – From 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., arrive at the Elgin and be greeted with Sweet Granada chocolates and a glass of champagne. Arrivals after 5:00 p.m. will receive champagne and chocolates in your room. We encourage you to enjoy great food and drink in our restaurant, Parlour 1886, or another local eatery and are happy to make reservations for you at the time of your choice.
Saturday, June 27th – For those who stay Friday night, start the day off with a full breakfast at 9:00 am in the Parlour. Then head out on our local Shop-Till-You-Drop Treasure Hunt. We’ll provide you a list of places to go and things to find. Take a picture with these items, post your pics on Facebook and tag the Elgin in order to win a prize when you return to the Elgin.
- At 2 p.m. join us back at the hotel for one of two classes:
- When the Flint Hills meets the Tuscany Hills hands-on cooking class features Autumn Chianti, Orange Fennel Salad, Focaccia bread (via a waffle iron!), Saltimbocca “Jump in the Mouth”, Risotto, and Cantuccini Biscotti. The class will be taught by Kris Larkin of Ad Astra and Lark Inn Guesthouses in Strong City, and proceeds go to the Kasarani School of Sewing Arts in Kenya.
- The Sip & Script Faux Calligraphy workshop is taught by Jennifer Snook of Wichita. All the lovely without the complexity, faux-calligraphy is actually hand-lettering and it is the perfect method to begin understanding the art of calligraphy. It is also great to use when working on any surface; paper, chalkboards, glass, wood and canvas! Faux-Calligraphy can be achieved with any ordinary pen or pencil, but offers similar results to pointed pen and ink calligraphy! You will leave with a few favorite pens, a stack of resources, a personal project, and all the things you need to practice this introduction to the ancient art of calligraphy. The class will start on paper, but will finish with a completed faux-calligraphy project to take home & show off! Learn the art of scripting while sipping on a variety of wines that we provide…or bring your own favorite!
- At 6 p.m., switch classes.
Sunday, April 5th – For those who stay Saturday night, enjoy another full breakfast at 9:00 am in the Parlour. Sit around and have coffee with friends and plan your next Girls Getaway at the Elgin.
- By noon, put your hiking shoes on and head out for a self-guided waterfall tour in the region with the girls.
Enjoy all of this for $100/person plus your room cost for one or two nights. Click here to reserve the full Girls Getaway Weekend including your overnight stay.
Don’t want to stay the night? No problem. We have limited availability for additional participants in the classes for $65/person. Call (620) 382-3200 to buy tickets for the Sip & Script or the When the Flint Hills meets the Tuscany Hills cooking class without an overnight stay.
Book now as we are sure to sell out this popular event!